Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Clean Eat Recipe :: "Italian Stallion" Crock Pot Chicken

Share

Have you tried our Salsa Chicken?  This recipe is just as easy but a few ingredients are changed/added to give it an Italian flair, which is why I named it after one of my favorite movie characters, Rocky Balboa (aka THE ITALIAN STALLION!).  You can add some extra pasta sauce, sliced veggies, and/or quinoa pasta noodles to have a deliciously healthy spaghetti dinner ready in minutes!

Ingredients:
3-4 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
5 medium tomatoes
3/4 cup chopped onion (we use Vidalia/Sweet)
3 Tbsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp honey

Dry Ingredients/Spices:
1 Tbsp basil
1 Tbsp thyme
1 Tbsp oregano
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp bay leaves

Directions:
1.  Mix all ingredients (not including the chicken breasts) together in a blender/food processor (must hold at least 5 cups - we use a Vitamix) and blend for about 30 seconds until ingredients are mixed well.
2.  Place blended pasta sauce in sauce pan and simmer on low/medium heat for about 10-15 minutes until sauce takes on a thicker consistency and a dark shade of red.


3.  Mix chicken breasts and pasta sauce in crock pot and cook on low heat for at least 7 hours.
4.  After 7 hours, you will notice the sauce looks very runny, this is normal.  Remove crock pot from heating base, shred chicken with a wooden spoon or spatula and as it cools, the shredded chicken will absorb the juices from the pasta sauce.

Macros (based on a 6 oz serving):
Calories: 160
Fat: 2g
Carbs: 2g
Protein: 36g

He & She Tips: We like to make our own pasta sauce at home so that we can avoid the added sugars and other unwanted ingredients.  You can use the store-bought pasta sauce but try to avoid the brands with a lot of added sugar, preservatives, etc.  Muir Glen is usually a pretty good choice if your store carries it. You can simplify this recipe by adding 3-4 Tbsp of Italian seasoning rather most of the individual spices listed above.
Enjoy our recipes?  Get help with your grocery shopping here.

- Scott

40 comments:

  1. I bet this would be amazing with zucchini noodles! (zucchini sliced with a potato peeler then steamed)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call...that sounds awesome! We will have to try that variation sometime. Let us know how it tastes.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Let us know how you like it once you try it!

      Delete
  3. A quick easy way to shred chicken is in the stand mixer with the paddle attachment - 45 secs and pillowy soft, perfectly shredded chicken, while its still hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, that is an awesome tip! Thank you for sharing with us and our readers!

      Delete
  4. Any idea what the macros are for this? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April, we will work on that and get it updated soon!

      Delete
    2. Hey April. The macros I calculated are below. This is for one serving (6 ounces). Hope this helps!

      Calories: 160
      Fat: 2g
      Carbs: 2g
      Protein: 36g

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much! This is one of my new favorite meals!

      Delete
  5. Just tried this recipe and it is FANTASTIC!!!!!! My teenage boys are going to eat it all up before I get any...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA Pam! We are glad ALL of you enjoyed the recipe!

      Delete
  6. making this now!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Making this tonight. The sauce is amazing and really easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Has anyone ever tried this recipe with ground turkey breast? I was thinking maybe it could be an easy clean spaghetti sauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could definitely do this with ground turkey or ground chicken. You could also make meatballs and do this! Be sure to watch your times with the crock pot, as it will most likely take less time to make.

      Delete
  9. I bet it would be good on spagetti squash too! We love ss in place of noodles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made it with squash tonight! It was awesome!!!

      Delete
  10. Did you find out what the macros are for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Todd. The macros I calculated are below. This is for one serving (6 ounces). Hope this helps!

      Calories: 160
      Fat: 2g
      Carbs: 2g
      Protein: 36g

      Delete
  11. for the spices are you using fresh or dried?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pureed bell peppers into the sauce to trick my kids! It was delicious!

      Delete
  12. I might have missed it, how many servings does this make? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made this last night and it was amazing! Even better, my husband LOVED it:) Quick question about the serving size...is the 6 ounces based on weight or volume?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made this yesterday and was very excited about it, but my husband and I thought the chicken was chewy and dry. What did i do wrong? I used 3 lbs of chicken breast. It was in for just under 7 hours, but i feel like longer and it would have been even more dry. I am disappointed because it was a lot of chicken and would have been several meals for our family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I use my Kitchen Aid mixer as well to shred chicken. It is so awesome and saves so much time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made this recipe and we (my husband and I) enjoyed this for a week and a half! I sent him to work with a portion to put over mixed greens and sometimes we chopped up vegetables and wrapped the meat up with the vegies in a warm tortilla! I always added a dollop of greek yogurt on top and that made it a bit creamy!

    I didn't have any trouble shredding! I pulled the chicken up out of the crock pot and onto a plate...I shredded using two forks, it was virtually effortless, the chicken was so tender!

    When I cooked the food I also added bell peppers (yellow, red and orange), onion and zucchini! This turned out great! Even the kids liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was one of the best dishes I have made in a longtime!! I ate 1 portion and my fiancee ate 3! I packed the last 2 for lunch tomorrow for him. Keep the awesome recipes coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a great super quick easy healthy recipe. I've made it about 10 times by now!
    I always have little variations here and there- works well with fresh onion and garlic. I also buy an Italian Seasoning mix (no sugar, no salt) from the shops that is great too. Can use canned chopped tomatoes too instead of fresh, check your labels though and opt for salt and sugar free.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made this for my family yesterday and it was amazing! I think next time I will omit the red paper flakes so our 20 month old can enjoy it as much as we did. Thanks for a great and quick recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So excited to try this with my family. Sounds delicious. Have your tried on spaghetti squash?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Should the chicken breasts be thawed or can they be frozen?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Made this tonight! Mine was done in 5 hours and wasn't dry at all. It is a little on the spicy side so my youngest didn't like it but the rest of us loved the flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG I JUST FOUND YOUR BLOG AND I LOVE IT. I love reading all the comments - I even read them aloud in different voices. It's so fulfilling! Reading these recipes is even better than eating them ;) LOVES AND KISSES!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Made this last night! It was really good, we both liked it! How well does it freeze? Has anyone tried it as a freezer meal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon,

      We have freezed it many times and it works great. It depends on your containers though - try to use glass containers or heavier, BPA-free plastic containers so that you don't get frost on the tips of the chicken.

      Tiffany

      Delete

We are so excited you are leaving a comment for He and She Eat Clean! We read each and every comment and will get back to you soon! Thanks so much!