Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Savory Chicken Casserole

Share

Do the words casserole and clean eating REALLY go together? Well, today they do! This is a great feel-good food recipe. It actually tastes cheesy although there is no cheese and NO dairy of any kind!


Savory Chicken Casserole
Recipe adapted from Paleo Grubs Stove-tip "Cheesy" Paleo Chicken Casserole

Ingredients:
2 c cooked shredded chicken
1.5 c butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1/2 c coconut cream (skimmed off of the top of a can of coconut milk)
2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1.25 c green peas (if using frozen, thaw prior to adding to recipe)
1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp onion powder


Directions:
1. If you have not pre-prepared your chicken, place chicken in an additional pot of boiling water for 40 minutes. Remove from heat, strain and shred chicken using forks or a stand mixer.
2. Meanwhile, soften cubed and peeled butternut squash in a large pot of boiling water for approximately 40 minutes. Remove butternut squash from pot using a strainer and place in a large bowl. Using a potato masher, mash butternut squash to a smooth, but somewhat chunky texture.
2. Add apple cider vinegar, sea salt, garlic powder, black pepper, oregano, thyme and onion powder to the mashed butternut squash and stir to combine.
3. Add coconut creme and oil, stirring to combine.
4. Stir in coconut oil, coconut creme, shredded chicken and green peas.
5. Place mixture in a large skillet and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes on medium heat.



Recipe makes 4 servings.

Mets per Serving
Calories: 325
Protein: 25g
Carbs: 15g
Fat: 18g

Enjoy it!
Tiffany

33 comments:

  1. This is delicious !! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made this for dinner - oh my gosh - added to my favorites list! So tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was DELICIOUS!!! I wasn't sure what to think since I've never had Coconut Milk before, but I loved it. I wound up doubling the recipe - my husband LOVED it and we've got more for leftovers! :) This will be a staple in our home from now on! Thank you so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubled it too and had great results.

      Delete
  4. What is all of the coconut oil for? It seems like a lot. Also, I have lite coconut milk. Will that work? Is there still going to be cream in it? I'm just getting started with the clean eating and it seems like I'm cooking with a lot more fat than I normally do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meagan! Don't be afraid of higher, healthy fats! Definitely use the coconut oil, NOT coconut milk - not the same thing!

      Delete
    2. I know this post is old but also low fat coconut milk is just coconut milk that has been watered down. Don't waste your money on the "lite" version. Clean eating does involves cooking with healthy fats :-) My husband and I started with the Whole30 Challenge and even with me eating bacon every morning with breakfast I still managed to lose 11 lbs!

      Delete
  5. I didn't think green peas were Paleo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a clean eating site not necessarily a paleo diet site- the recipe was adapted from a paleo one...

      Delete
  6. Absolutely love this recipe. Easy to make, had all ingredients, except for the squash, on hand. I shared this recipe several times and even to some to the gym for my gym family to taste, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! So glad you enjoyed it. It's one of our favorites!

      Delete
  7. I really liked the texture but there were too many spices for me. Maybe I put too much of something in by mistake. I used sweet potatoes instead of squash and peas and carrots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could have changed the taste a bit as the dish is rather mild.

      Delete
  8. Can I use acorn squash instead? It's all that I have on hand, and this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could certainly try it! Let us know how it goes.

      Delete
  9. The amount of calories is wrong because coconut oil has A LOT of calories. Any kind of fats is has a lot of calories. If you eat a lot of avocados everyday, you will gain weight.

    Thanks for the recipe, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment...we mis-typed the coconut oil quantity. It was actually 2 Tbsp for the entire recipe which yields about 8g of fat per serving. The coconut cream adds 10g of fat per serving.

      The recipe has been updated to reflect this change!

      Delete
  10. can you substitute the coconut cream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could likely substitute a dairy product, but it is not recommended. The coconut cream is what makes this recipe so delicious!

      Delete
  11. Does the all the coconut products give it a very coconutty taste?? I can't stand coconut but this looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't very "coconutty" at all. I don't like coconut either and loved this. - Whitney

      Delete
  12. Do you think it would come out okay cooked in the crock pot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. We've never tried it this way. Let us know how it turns out!

      Delete
  13. super easy and delicious!! thanks for this recipe and for your blog- always enjoy your tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I ended up using a whole butternut squash I roasted. There was about 2.5 cups which I thought was a good amount for the amount of spice. Very tasty. Thank you. 👍👍👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it Aileen! I'm not too picky about the amounts either - I just use what I have!

      Delete
  15. I am allergic to coconut. What do I use instead of the coconut oil and coconut cream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Honestly I'm not sure since they are such a big part of the recipe. You could try leaving both of them out. It's definitely the butternut squash that makes the recipe. Let us know what you try!

      Delete
  16. I really like this recipe so much:) I'm lactose intolerant, so the coconut milk is just great for me; Tastes great and doesn't make me sick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it Ana! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  17. Never bought butternut squash. Do you peel, dice and boil it like you do a potato that you are going to cream?

    ReplyDelete

We are so excited you are leaving a comment for He and She Eat Clean! We read each and every comment and will get back to you soon! Thanks so much!