Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks

Thursday, February 20, 2014

He and She Goes Gluten-Free!

Share
You've probably already noticed a lot of our recipes include links to Gluten-Free ingredients but we've never really posted about it, aside from our Gluten-Free Substitutions. As we "announce" that we are Gluten-Free, we don't mean that we look for the Gluten-Free donuts, bagels, and candy.  An already clean diet is actually pretty easy to make Gluten-Free with easy swaps!  We will share with you below why we made the switch.


Tiffany and Jim:
Jim and I ditched the gluten because of my hypothyroidism and because I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune disease associated with hypothyroidism). There have actually been numerous studies suggesting that the gluten can have an affect on symptoms and thyroid levels. The switch wasn't too hard for us, but I will admit that I miss my cinnamon raisin Ezekiel English muffins from time to time! (I'm only human, right?) The strangest thing about going gluten-free for me has been learning to incorporate coconut flour, coconut milk and coconut oil into my recipes. I don't care for shredded coconut because of the texture, but the flavor of the flour, milk and oil is wonderful! Since going gluten-free, I can tell a difference in my energy levels, especially if I accidentally eat something with gluten! 

Our favorite Gluten-Free recipe: Blueberry Crumb Cake Muffins

Scott and Whitney:
Scott has been mostly gluten-free for over a year but he would occasionally have some wheat. I was also mostly gluten-free with the exception of Ezekiel bread.  All of our oat products were always gluten-free.  This year I cut out gluten completely (including ditching the Ezekiel bread).  It really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to part with it. I've replaced my Ezekiel bread with gluten-free rolled oats each morning.  Before my photo shoots I would always cut out gluten about 4 weeks out to eliminate bloating. I figured why not just ditch the Ezekiel bread since that was really the only gluten I consumed.  We are now both completely gluten-free.  We both feel so much better - so much more energy and less bloat since eliminating gluten!  P.S. Food for Life (Ezekiel bread) does have Brown Rice Bread!

Our favorite gluten-free recipe: Apple-Cinnamon Pancakes

Thinking about going gluten-free?  These simple substitutions will help you!  Also keep an eye out on our blog as we update our GF recipes to make them easy to find!

Do you eat gluten-free?  If so, how has it impacted your life?

- The Gang

3 comments:

  1. I love this blog. I'm currently doing the she sweats 12 week transformation and I love it. I've also been gluten free for about six months. Udis makes a great cinnamon raisin bread as an occasional snack

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started the gluten free diet with the recommendation from my doctor due to my hyperthyroidism. I was sceptical of going gluten free because of my diagnosis. Everything I researched linked gluten with celiac disease. I was very excited to see someone else go gluten free due to their thyroid!! I will definitely be following this blog. Thank you.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been having digestion issues for years (and I'm only 20) so I figured something had to be wrong. Turns out I have a gluten sensitivity. It is great seeing that going gluten free won't be the end of the world and that other health conscious people have made that choice as well. Thanks for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete

We are so excited you are leaving a comment for He and She Eat Clean! We read each and every comment and will get back to you soon! Thanks so much!