Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Clean Eat Recipe :: Clean Crockpot Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya

Share


I was hoping to mix up my meals a little bit and shock my taste buds from my traditional clean meals of salsa chicken and I did just that! This is an AWESOME recipe because it has all of your nutrients packed into one - protein, carbs and a small amount of healthy fat from the chicken.

Clean Crockpot Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya

Ingredients:
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, thawed, excess fat removed
1/2 cup diced fresh green bell pepper
2 cups finely diced fresh celery
1 cup finely chopped fresh yellow onion
2 cups diced fresh tomatoes, with juices
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 TBSP cajun seasoning (we used Tony Chachere's but you can also make your own seasoning)
1 tsp sea salt
1 lb uncooked wild-caught shrimp, fresh, peeled and deveined
2 cups brown rice

Directions:
1. Combine chicken breasts, bell pepper, celery, onion, tomatoes, paste, broth, garlic, seasoning and salt into large, 6-quart crockpot or slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on low heat for approximately 6 hours or high heat for approximately 3 hours. Stir intermittently if needed.
3. Add rice and shrimp to slow cooker, stirring to combine. Cook on low for 2 additional hours or high for 1 hour.

Recipe yields approximately 8 servings.

Mets: (approximate per serving)
Calories - 379
Carbs - 39g
Fat - 6g
Protein - 42g
Sugar - 5g

Enjoy our recipes?  Get help with your grocery shopping here.

Tiffany

9 comments:

  1. I made this tonight! Super yummy and so simple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this, and while I LOVED the flavor, the rice didn't cook well in the crockpot. Any tips that you would give (cooking on high vs. low, kind of rice)? I'd really like to try it again, but I may just cook the rice separately/day before and just add in at the very end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally! You could definitely cook it and then add it in. A few more suggestions... quick cooking brown rice (it may be overprocessed though) or, if you let it sit in the fridge overnight it's 10x better!

      Delete
  3. I agree with Sally, the flavor is AMAZING, but my rice didn't cook either. :( The next time I'll just make the rice ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this today. My son recently attended National Jamboree and had jambalya and wanted me to make it. I was looking for a clean recipe and found yours. Flavor is amazing! However, I had the same problem with the rice...so I turned the crockpot on high for an additional hour and the rice cooked. Just needs a little more time and perfection is reached. Thank you for all the amazing recipes you offer. Have not been disappointed yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you chop the chicken and shrimp up or leave them whole?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any recommendations on what I can substitute for Tony Chachere's? The Chachere's really ups the sodium content.

    ReplyDelete
  7. can you use quinoa instead of brown rice?

    ReplyDelete

We are so excited you are leaving a comment for He and She Eat Clean! We read each and every comment and will get back to you soon! Thanks so much!