Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Clean Eat Recipe :: Straw-Nana-Nut Ice Cream

Share
We've mentioned one of our favorite apps before, the Whole Foods Market Recipes app...well this is a variation of one of their recipes.  It's a perfect summer treat that you won't feel guilty about eating! 


This recipe calls for a lot of strawberries & if you are like me you get tired of wasting 1/2 the strawberry by cutting off the stem.  I saw this pin on Pinterest about removing the stem with a straw & finally had the chance to try it out...IT WORKS!  It's super easy too.  All you do is insert the straw at the button & push the stem off (see below)!


P.S. Be sure to follow us on Pinterest if you don't already!



Ingredients:
2 frozen Bananas
6 oz Organic Strawberries (buy ORGANIC - Strawberries are one of "The Dirty Dozen")
1/2 cup of raw whole Cashews (soaked in water, see below)

Directions:
1. Soak cashews in warm water at room temperature for 2-12 hours.  Drain cashews once they have been soaked.
2. Dice organic strawberries.
3. Slice frozen bananas into 1/4" slices.



4. Puree strawberries & cashews in a Vitamix until smooth (start at the lowest speed & gradually turn it up to 4).  Add up to a 1/4 cup of water, if needed.  Add bananas & puree again, until very smooth.


5. Freeze in a sealed freezer proof container until just solid, approx 4 hours.


Makes 4 Servings.

Macros:
Calories - 170
Protein - 4 g
Carbs - 26 g
Fat - 8 g

P.S. Be sure to check out our 4 Ingredient Banana Nut Ice Cream!

Enjoy our recipes?  Get help with your grocery shopping here.

- Whitney

9 comments:

  1. I can't wait to make this. I am going to wash and freeze the strawberries with green stem intact. I never core my strawberries when putting them in my vitamix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never done it with the core intact. We always remove the core. Let us know how it turns out!

      Delete
  2. An easy delicious treat! Like a cross between ice cream and sorbet with a full serving of fruit and none of the guilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds (and looks) delicious! I have a question though: in your post, you say to soak the cashews for 2-12 hours. That's a long spread of time; will it matter if I wait 2 or 12 hours? I've never made anything with soaked cashews before. (Or is this a typo and you meant 2-2.5 hours?)

    Also, great idea on the straw for a strawberry huller. We use the Crate & Barrel huller. I give this 10 stars and 3 thumbs up! It's the best huller I've ever used for a good price. http://reviews.crateandbarrel.com/7258/s607943/strawberry-huller-reviews/reviews.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the huller link! We will have to check it out!

      As far as the cashew soaking...that is what the Whole Foods recipe said so I didn't change it. I don't think it really matters but I haven't experimented with soaking them for 12 hours. We always just soak them for around 2-4 hours because I never think ahead to soak them for 12!

      Delete
  4. Gotta have a new (powerful) blender, btw I really like the name--staw-nana-nut!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this safe for diabetes??

    ReplyDelete

We are so excited you are leaving a comment for He and She Eat Clean! We read each and every comment and will get back to you soon! Thanks so much!