Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

FIT Finds :: The Egg Genie - Automatic Egg Cooker/Boiler

Share
As most of you loyal readers know, we occasionally review items that make your life easier! (And trust me - if it was a defunct product, we would let you know that too!) And this is DEFINITELY one of them!

It all started a few weeks ago... I'm supposed to eat two whole eggs (yes, two whole eggs - yolk and all) as part of my healthy pregnancy diet. It's a struggle, but the only way I can actually get the yolk down is to boil the eggs and disguise them by chopping them up in a salad or trying desperately not to think about the yolk! Well... this is all fine and dandy except ONE major thing - I'm HORRIBLE at boiling my own eggs! I can never get it right. I did a little research and found The Egg Genie

At first I was skeptical - I NEVER buy an "As Seen on TV" product, but after trying it out and boiling 5 large brown eggs in this baby, I'm a believer! Even if you don't eat the yolk, the egg white is perfect and yummy! Think about what this will do to your Sunday prep! You just fill the canister with a little water (there are directions and a measuring cup), poke a hole in each egg with a "tack" that is located on the machine, place your eggs in and turn it on! It was SO simple! 5 eggs took about 10 minutes. (I say this now - I was skeptical up until the point that after I submerged the eggs into cold water and peeled one of them - absolute perfection!)

Apparently, the unit will also poach eggs and steam vegetables - I have not tried those applications as of yet!

Here are pics from my egg boiling journey!


Things I like:
- The Price!
- The Ease - I can actually attend to cooking and creating others things, housework, blogging, etc while my eggs are cooking
- The Taste - these came out perfectly! The yolk was absolutely perfectly cooked - not over or underdone.
- Easy to Peel - it may be because I submerged them directly after in cold water, but I took the shell off in one fail peel! It was awesome!

Things I wish I could change:
- The annoying sound when the eggs are done. The directions mentioned that it would hiss - it was more like a screech! It's over as soon as you unplug the unit though!

I hope this helps you with your Sunday Prep - it has made a huge difference for me!

Tiffany

P.S. Looking for our article on the Nutrition of the Egg? Click the link to go there!

16 comments:

  1. But does it change the way the house smells while you are boiling eggs, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope! I really was so skeptical when the thing buzzed that I didn't even think they cooked at all! Really couldn't smell them!

      Delete
    2. And believe me - you should trust a pregnant woman's nose!

      Delete
  2. Now I wish I bought this when I saw it on Beyond The Rack for cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still under $20 and free shipping! Totally worth it!

      Delete
  3. I have considered an egg cooker, just haven't purchased one yet. It's that little voice "do I NEED an egg cooker"?

    Monica
    www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica - I had that same voice in my head. Glad I gave in and said, "yes!"

      Delete
  4. A product I love is Tupperware's Microwave Breakfast Maker! Its super simple now I know the eggs aren't boiled but I throw 2 eggs in it scramble it a little with a dash of milk and whatever omelet ingredients I choose for that day. Takes 2 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom has that! I was looking for something specifically to boil eggs. I find that the scrambled eggs in the microwave are a little rubbery. Do you have that same problem?

      Delete
    2. Not in that tupperware one, they are really fluffy! (Maybe its the milk)

      Delete
  5. I have it too and it is great. I just don't like how burned it gets at the bottom of the tray. I hate to have to scrub it off all the time. Other than that, it is perfect eggs all the time. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say that I was tempted by this product until I found out about Steam Eggs from The Fittnessista. I eat TONS of hard boiled eggs and egg whites and the steam method is never fail, always peel perfectly, and no cost or annoying sounds! I make a dozen eggs at a time (put in big pot using veg steamer basket, cover, when water boils decrease heat to keep nice steam going, 15 mins, cold water, ice, then I store them in water unpeeled in fridge - change the water each day when I take out eggs) Perfect every time. But hey, I love my gadgets too >:) Oh, btw, been following for a while, great blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The way we boil eggs is we place them in a pot of water with enough water to cover the eggs, (if an egg floats its bad TOSS IT!) Then bring the water to a boil, as so as there is a rolling boil set your timer for 10 minutes then remove from heat when the timer is up, also to help the shell come off easier if add about 1-2 teaspoons of baking soda, dont know why this works but it does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eggs that touch the bottom or sit half way in the water are good, only the ones that break the surface and stay there are the bad ones.

      Delete
  8. I should definitely get one of these... I boil so much eggs, this would be so easy way :) Just wanted to tell you that I looooove you and your recipes and the way you write :) I'm a huge fan even though I found you just a while ago :) Happy Easter for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. New Diet Taps into Innovative Idea to Help Dieters Lose 23 Pounds within Only 21 Days!

    ReplyDelete

We are so excited you are leaving a comment for He and She Eat Clean! We read each and every comment and will get back to you soon! Thanks so much!