Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Guest Post :: Clean Eating with Kids!

Share

This is Whitney: We have a guest post from one of my friends, Edna, who also happens to be a clean eating momma!  We have received a lot of questions from mothers so we thought we would share a mother's prospective with you!  Below are a few of Edna's transformation pics!  She looks awesome!


This is Edna: Clean eating can be very overwhelming for a beginner! There are so many options of healthy food and eating every two to three hours can seem like a ton of work.  On top of that, most of us have very limited time for cooking. I started clean eating six months ago when my son was exclusively eating table foods...In the beginning, it seemed impossible to keep up. As soon as I cooked something, it was gone. At the end of the day, I was exhausted and the last thing I wanted to do was cook! After sticking to the meal plan for a few weeks, I came up with a few ways to make this lifestyle a little easier.



The most important factor in your success is FOOD PREP. Spending one or two days in the kitchen cooking will make the entire week go so much more smoothly. Now given that I am doing two food preps, (one adult and one child) mine takes a little longer. Below is a glimpse into my weekly food prep for me, my husband, and my one year old.



I spend one or two days on the weekend making the following:

- 2 batches Egg White Frittatas
- 4 lb shredded chicken in the crock pot (plain).  We all like different flavors on our shredded chicken, so I make it plain and season it as we eat. (put half in the freezer)
Jamie Eason's Turkey Meatloaf Muffins (put half in the freezer)

- Veggies (cooked & chopped) for my 1 year old
- Fruit (cooked & chopped) for my 1 year old

With these meals, I am able to quickly throw together four out of five meals for the day. My one year old eats most of what we eat, with the exception of raw veggies. It is so nice to know that he always has healthy meals and snacks ready for him. I still cook a few nights a week and have leftovers the other nights, but every other meal is taken care of.



Having everything planned out in advance takes so much stress out of the week and keeps me from eating something unhealthy! Being a mom and a full-time graduate student, I have very little free time during the week.  Add clean eating to exercise and weight lifting and you are on your way to a great lifestyle!



- Edna




15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! Glad you enjoyed it! :-)

      Delete
  2. I had meant to ask, do you have any tips for a die hard sugar addict?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just cut it out...you will still crave it at the beginning but don't give into the cravings! Your taste buds will change! Check out a blog that Tiffany wrote on "Sugar Addiction" under "The Lifestyle" tab at the top of the page! :-) Good luck & kick that sugar habit!

      Delete
  3. This is wonderful! Thank you! It's easier to get my younger kids eating clean than my older ones who already know and like the processed stuff- but I will persevere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true - just like it is hard for adults to change because they are so set in their ways! You WILL persevere! Thanks for reading! :-) Good luck!

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed reading this. I am trying to start this and it is very overwhelming to begin and think about having to cook different meals for the family. But if you make things everyone likes you only cook once! I do have one question for you. With all the food prep do you freeze everything and then just microwave it? That is something that really puzzled me with all this food prep in advance. And if you do microwave it, is it still pretty tasty? Up to how long do you keep stuff in the freezer? Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually put ours in the fridge or freezer. How long it lasts just depends on what you are talking about making. We usually eat our food within 4-5 days (it seems to be fine in the fridge for this amount of time). We also eat a lot of our food cold because we are very busy & it is just quicker but you could use a microwave. Try a few things out, see how long they last around your house & then you can go from there! :-) Good luck!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful post. As a mom of 3 boys it's always great to get new ideas to eat clean as a family. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have found that when i have to use the microwave to reheat, wrapping meats, especially, in wax paper allows them to retain their moisture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This helps so much!
    How do you prepare the plain chicken in the crock pot? Recipe?
    Do you have a recipe for the egg frittata you mentioned?
    Thanks!
    I LOVE this blog!!!
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! There are a few crock pot recipes for the chicken under "The Recipes" tab at the top of the webpage (checked out the Salsa Chicken & Italian Stallion Chicken). There is also an egg recipe under the breakfast category! Hope this helps!

      Delete
  8. Awesome...so started following her on fb.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am starting the Eat Clean Also and as a momma it is very hard cause you have thier wants and my needs!!! Any suggestions Whitney?

    ReplyDelete

We are so excited you are leaving a comment for He and She Eat Clean! We read each and every comment and will get back to you soon! Thanks so much!