Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Clean Eat Recipe :: Sweet Potato Tots

Share


I have been dreaming of sweet potato tots for a while now. Remember your mother making you regular potato tots as a child? Oh the memories that holds for me! Now, you can continue those memories but in a healthy, slow-burning carbohydrate sorta-way. The perfect (and somewhat portable) side dish to your lunchtime or dinnertime meal. These will be perfect for your Fourth of July BBQ!


 

Ingredients: 
1 lb sweet potatoes - skin ON, shredded (use the large holes on your grater)
1 medium yellow onion, shredded and liquid drained
2 TBSP oat flour (can also substitute the gluten-free oat flour variety)
1 TSP mexican chili powder
1/2 TSP garlic powder
1/2 TSP sea salt
1/2 TSP coarse ground black pepper
2 large egg whites

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Using the large holes of your cheese grater, shred 1 lb of sweet potatoes.
3. Using the large holes of your cheese grater, shred a medium yellow onion. Drain the liquid from the onion, pat dry.
4. Combine sweet potatoes, onion, oat flour, Mexican chili powder, garlic powder, sea salt and black pepper in a bowl, stirring with a spoon to ensure it is mixed.
5. Add egg whites to sweet potato mixture.
6. Using your hands, shape mixture into small tots/balls approximately 3/4" in diameter.
7. Place on baking sheet sprayed with olive oil and bake until crispy, approximately 22-25 minutes.

Makes 40 tots. 
Serving size = 10 tots

Mets:
Calories: 144
Protein: 6g
Carbs: 31g
Fats: 0g
Sugars: 5g
Sodium: 284mg

He & She Tip: These will NOT be as crunchy as traditional potato tots since those are fried. Keeping the skin on in this recipe will increase the texture of the tots.

Enjoy our recipes?  Get help with your grocery shopping here.

Tiffany

12 comments:

  1. Any sort of paleo flours we could sub on this you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could do almond flour! It may take an extra TBSP, but it should work!

      Delete
  2. Just great.. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know if these freeze well? And should I freeze them before I bake them or after? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't tried to freeze them yet, but I would definitely bake after you freeze than before.

      Delete
  4. could you sub regular flour for oat flour? I don't have any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would stay away from white, all purpose flours. However, if you have a whole wheat flour, you could use that!

      Delete
  5. Made these and they seem to be a little too watery to male into the tots. Should I add more oat flour?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used whole wheat flour and I don't know if that didn't work for this recipe, but it wasn't one that made our fan list. I also could have used too much sweet potato's as well. Most likely on my end of the bargain as every other recipe I have made has been ridiculously good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. okay, what's the secret trick to get these to work out?? Lol, mine did not form into balls at all so I ended up baking them as small, somewhat flat patties. I shredded the ingredients in my food processor then let it all drain in a sieve in the sink (even pressed on it quite a bit to get as much liquid out as possible.) The only difference was I used wholemeal spelt flour instead of oat flour. After attempting to form tots with the mixture, I realized it wasn't working so I added extra flour and one more egg white. I cooked in oven for a total of 30 minutes but they weren't very crispy on the outside so I put them in my hot pan after I cooked the chicken. They were edible, but not that great. What gives?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to try these out! I've become a sweet potato addict since beginning my clean eating journey! Sweet potato nutrition is crazy awesome, I outlined just a few in a one of my blog posts: http://wellnessfromthewestside.blogspot.com/2014/03/seven-reasons-to-start-sweet-potato.html
    Thanks so much for the recipes! They definitely keep me inspired!

    ReplyDelete

We are so excited you are leaving a comment for He and She Eat Clean! We read each and every comment and will get back to you soon! Thanks so much!