Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Clean Eat Recipe :: Red Beans and Rice

Share


My mother is from Louisiana, so she is Cajun. Being her daughter, she is especially hard on me when I veer off the course of the traditional ingredients for your typical Cajun dish, but oh well... this tastes phenomenal and is clean and healthy!

Clean Red Beans and Rice

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups Brown Rice (or my favorite, Bob's Red Mill Whole Grain Wild and Brown Rice Blend - it's SO yummy!)
3 cups water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb Organic Turkey Sausage, sliced approximately 1/2 inch rounds (you can typically find a kielbasa in your natural foods section or natural foods store. If you can't find this, try the Bruce Aidells brand - it only has a few ingredients and is "all natural")  To make Gluten Free, just add Gluten-Free Sausage!
3 cans of red beans, rinsed (you may substitute dried beans that are pre-soaked overnight)
1 1/2 c Organic, Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt

Directions:
1. Bring 3 cups of water and 1 1/2 cups Brown Rice to boil in a pot over medium high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, place a lid on pot and let cook for approximately 45 minutes.
2. In a large saute pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Once oil is warm, add onion, garlic and organic turkey sausage. Saute until onions brown and become clear.
3. In saute pan, add red beans, organic low-sodium chicken broth, cayenne pepper, chili powder, black pepper and sea salt. Stir together. Cook on medium for 30-45 minutes.

Serve bean/sausage combo over the brown rice and enjoy! Let me know how it turns out!

Enjoy our recipes?  Get help with your grocery shopping here.

Tiffany

28 comments:

  1. I have a question about the turkey sausage. What about deer sausage (deer that we killed) how "clean" is venision? It is smoked sausage too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amber!

      Venision is incredibly clean (especially if you killed it!). However, you will want to pay close attention to the method used by whomever you get the meat processed from. Find out what products they use (especially to make it "smoked) and that will help you determine if it's clean or not. Feel free to run the list by us if you have questions once you find out what they use!

      Tiffany

      Delete
  2. This was so good! The whole fam loved it! Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah!! I am so glad! Jim loves it too - it's probably one of his favorite eat clean meals!

      Delete
  3. Looks yummy! Do you think it would freeze well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have actually frozen this recipe before. Just be sure that you don't freeze it with the rice. When you are defrosting/heating it up, I would suggest adding a tiny amount of water as well.

      Delete
    2. perfect thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  4. Oh man, this was amazing!! It will definitely be in our dinner rotation. Thank you so much. Do you know how much is considered a serving and the calorie count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually put about 1/2 cup (for me) 3/4 cup (for Jim) of rice and then scoop out about 1/2 cup (for me) and 3/4 cup (for Jim) of red beans mixture for our meal. It's so hard to give you actual calorie count due to difference in sausage, etc. I will see what I can do and update the recipe. I may not be able to do this until I make it again... I will let you know!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! It always helps to know how much to eat :)

      Delete
  5. This is really good. My whole family enjoyed it. Though, same as the other poster, I'd like to know what the serving size is and what it will cost me in calories and fat. Any idea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you liked it! It really does depend on the sausage used. When I make this recipe again, I can give you a better understanding. I will update the recipe and let you know when it is posted.

      Delete
  6. Could you make this in a Crockpot? I am the mother of a very active 2 yr old and a newborn and a Crockpot is the easiest way for me to go. It looks SOOO good! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison, In all fairness, I've never cooked rice in a crock pot, but I would assume that you could definitely do the beans and sausage in the crock pot!

      Delete
  7. Yummy -- I had my 13 year old son make it tonight. Wish there was a recipe index for calories. Thanks for recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! We are working on getting mets on all of our recipes! Remember, myfitnesspal.com is a great resource to use to calculate the mets in any recipe!

      Delete
  8. This sounds really delicious but I am a vegetarian... I can easily substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth. However, do you think it would be more beneficial to just omit the sausage or use some kind of soy meatless product? They do usually have good amounts of protein in them but they are pretty processed and I've heard soy can hinder weight loss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aimee! I would omit it all together! Those meatless soy products are pretty bad for you, especially because almost all soy in the US is GMO.

      Delete
  9. This was so good! We are enjoying your recipes so much, keep them coming:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so happy you liked it Emily! We hope you will try our other recipes.

      Delete
  10. Just made this tonight and it was wonderful! We just started eating clean yesterday and my husband and I like really flavorful (and usually extremely unhealthy) dishes. We couldnt believe we were eating clean food and it tasted so good! We live in Mobile, AL, so we loved the spice! Thanks so much for the awesome recipe. Looking forward to trying more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear! We love the recipe too!

      Delete
  11. I don't eat sausage. What else I can use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could do some ground turkey or ground chicken!

      Delete
  12. I have to tell you that this dish was absolutely amazing!! I have been wanting to eat clean for so long but thought that meant giving up on food that had taste. This week I prepped Zesty Grilled Chicken and Red Beans and Rice and both are out of this world. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful news!! Keep it up! Clean food tastes wonderful!

      Delete
  13. I just started eating clean and I've been craving rice and beans. I couldn't find organic turkey sausage so I used chicken, but oh my gosh! A-MA-ZING! Definitely a new favorite around here!

    ReplyDelete

We are so excited you are leaving a comment for He and She Eat Clean! We read each and every comment and will get back to you soon! Thanks so much!