Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks

Monday, January 30, 2012

Clean Eat Recipe :: Quinoa with Mixed Vegetables

Share
Quinoa is a very healthy, easy to prepare side dish.  Adding vegetables makes it even more delicious!  Try the recipe below or try your own variation and let us know how it turns out!


Ingredients:
2 cups organic, low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup organic edamame
1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
1/2 cup cucumber, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp sea salt

Directions:
1. Combine the quinoa and broth and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and lightly simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
2. Mix together edamame, red pepper and cucumber.
3. Once quinoa is cooked add garlic, black pepper and sea salt and mix throughly.  Then add in your vegetable mix.

I will sometimes add baked chicken and eat it in a bowl as one of my meals while I am on the road!  Easy and nutritious...add any vegetables that you like!

Enjoy our recipes?  Get help with your grocery shopping here.

- Whitney

20 comments:

  1. adding some curry would give this a bit more flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a wonderful idea! Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Do you eat it warm or chilled?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can actually eat it either way, but Jim and I typically heat ours up!

      Delete
  3. I made this yesterday with zucchini, peppers, and edamame and it was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! What kind of peppers did you use? We have another one we are going to post soon that is AMAZING!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi Michelle! It just depends on what fits into your macros for that meal but we usually go with 1/4 cup cooked for me (female) & 1/2 cup cooked for Scott (male). Hope that helps!

      Delete
  5. Has anyone tried to freeze this dish? Love your site by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarka! Honestly, I have never tried. I would assume it would freeze much like rice - you may want to add a little water prior to reheating.

      Delete
  6. What are the macros for the serving sizes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to know the macros for the serving size too! Thanks! you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  8. also...not too sure about adamame...where would I buy this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should be able to find edamame at most grocery stores...may also be sold as soybeans. We buy ours at Costco.

      Delete
  9. I have an underactive thyroid so I try to avoid soy. Any suggestions of a substitute for the edamame?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerry,

      I avoid most soy as well due to my thyroid condition EXCEPT for edamame. For me, the protein benefits outweight the small amount of the soy this recipe has. Remember that edamame is unprocessed in comparison to soy milk and other products with soy.

      If you do want to substitute the edamame, you could choose some type of bean or pea.

      Delete
  10. do you add the mixed vegetables into the boil as well or after once the quinoa is out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! You will want to add them once the quinoa is cooked.

      Delete
  11. I have made this a dozen times now and I LOVE it! It makes the best leftovers. The only thing I've added to it is chopped green onions. I love to make this and your Cilantro Lime Shrimp and eat them together. Amazingly delicious and healthy!

    ReplyDelete

We are so excited you are leaving a comment for He and She Eat Clean! We read each and every comment and will get back to you soon! Thanks so much!