Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Clean Eat Recipe :: Protein Packed Angeled Eggs!

Share
What a great way to reach your fitness goals with our friend and complete protein, the egg! Now, I have to be honest - I have never had a deviled egg in my life!  Jim on the other hand... loves them almost as much as he loves me!  I was super excited to try this recipe for angeled eggs when I saw that it was clean and a great alternative to their higher fat, higher cholesterol evil cousin, the deviled egg. I have visions of Jim taking these for lunch around the office when he is actually home and eating them for snacks!


Ingredients:

6 eggs, hard boiled
6-oz can tuna
4 tbsp Greek yogurt
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tbsp fresh chopped dill
Paprika, to garnish

Directions:
1. Slice eggs into halves lengthwise. Scoop out yokes and set aside.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, finely mash 2 egg yolks with a fork. Discard remaining yolks.
3. In another bowl, finely mash tuna with a fork.
4. Combine tuna and egg yolks into one bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
5. Spoon mixture into hollowed-out egg whites. Sprinkle with paprika. Serve immediately or chill to allow flavors to meld.

There is one caveat... my Father-in-Law, who is not used to eating anywhere near remotely clean, decided to try one and I don't think that they were what he was expecting.  There is definitely a different taste than that of a deviled egg!  Worried? Try making a small batch before you plan to serve them just to make sure the family is up for it!

Enjoy our recipes?  Get help with your grocery shopping here.

- Tiffany

*Recipe from Oxygen Magazine, "Eat Eggs Get Lean," October 2011.

32 comments:

  1. This sounds really good, except for the tuna. Would you describe it as having a fishy taste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, I don't know if I would say fishy. You could also try some grilled tilapia or cod if you wanted to stay away from the tuna! Be sure to calculate your macros if you do this.

      Delete
  2. No tuna, please! And please send Staples to the office with some. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Brenda, did you try it? I hope you liked it!

      Delete
  4. sounds so good! i love eggs in my tuna so this would be tuna in my eggs lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candace, tuna is great with eggs! This is a really easy recipe that you can use to have multiples on hand!

      Delete
  5. could you substitute chicken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! It will change your macros a bit, so be sure to recalculate if you are counting calories, proteins and fats. Please let us know what you think after you try it!

      Delete
  6. OMG this would be amazing for my husband and son who LOVE LOVE LOVE the other eggs. Must give it a try to move slowly into more clean eating. I just think it is fun to sneak them good food that tastes good then spring it on them that it is also very good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they enjoy them! They are not the same taste as deviled eggs, but if you have tuna fans in the house, they will surely like them!

      Delete
  7. Tried these this weekend (minus the tuna)! I loved them!!! One of my new favorites:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great!! So glad you enjoyed them!

      Delete
  8. Just tried these! Very yummy! But next time I think I will cut down on the dijon mustard :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs Andrado - That's great! I LOVE mustard, so I didn't find it too much, but I am glad you like them!

      Delete
  9. What would you suggest as an alternative to the dijon for a mustard HATER?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Candy, this depends on which meal you are on and what your calories are for the day. Each person's serving will be different. They are very high in protein and low in fat/carbs, so you can eat quite a few of them!

      Delete
  11. Made these tonight, absolutely yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Melissa! We are glad you enjoyed them.

      Delete
  12. I was out of yogurt so I used low fat cottage cheese instead- they turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good Courtney. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  13. Is it sweet paprika or smoked paprika ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great question! I typically use smoked paprika, but I think you could use whichever!

      Delete
  14. love your site,, thanks for all the yummy recipes, will try the eggs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds great! Would it still be considered "clean" with chopped dill pickles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on the ingredients used to make the dill pickles. If you are making them yourself or have chosen a "clean" brand, absolutely! That sounds delicious!

      Delete
  16. how long do you think these last in the fridge? i prep all my snacks on Sunday so i wonder if this would be a good one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think they would last at least 3 days.

      Delete
  17. What are the macros for these?

    ReplyDelete

We are so excited you are leaving a comment for He and She Eat Clean! We read each and every comment and will get back to you soon! Thanks so much!