Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Clean Eat Recipe :: Sweet Potato and Cinnamon Brownies

Share
Who said you had to suffer from lack of treats when you eat clean?  Think about your favorite treats and use our clean eating swap guide to "clean it up"!

Please NOTE: This recipe can be made Gluten Free. (See below for more information)


The Sweet Potato and Cinnamon Brownie  



Ingredients:
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour (Substitute gluten free flour, such as Gluten-Free Oat Flour)
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
1 cup Baked Sweet Potato (Make sure that you use oven baked sweet potato minus the skin for maximum sweetness.)
1/2 cup Agave Nectar
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (no HFCS)
6 Egg Whites

Directions:
1.  Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F.
2.  Combine flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.



3.  Using a food processor, combine baked sweet potato, agave nectar, oil and vanilla extract. Puree until combined and smooth. 


4.  Gradually mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients, until just combined.
5.  In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until fluffy. 
6.  Using a rubber spatula, gently fold egg whites into batter.


7.  Using your olive oil spritzer, lightly spray a 8x8" baking pan.  Transfer brownie batter into prepared baking pan.


8.  Bake for 16-18 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the brownies comes out clean.
9.  Allow to cool to room temperature for approximately 30 minutes.

He & She Tip: Brownies fresh from the oven will have a cake-like texture. If you desire more of a brownie texture, refrigeration overnight is recommended.

Enjoy our recipes?  Get help with your grocery shopping here.

Gluten Free Version: Use Gluten-Free Flour as an alternative.

Happy Baking!
Tiffany

18 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Thanks so much for this recipe. Also, I buy my agave nectar at Costco. I think they have the best price, so try that if you have one near you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! I don't use as much as I used to, but it's good to know that Costco has it! These are AMAZING!! You have to try them!

      Delete
    2. I love your website and will be trying some of your recipes this week. I'm new to "eating clean" so I'm still learning. I tend to get bloated and lathargic when eating wheat products. Can I substitute the wheat flour for almond flour or coconut flour? If so, how much should I use? Which would be a better replacement?

      Delete
  2. They look great. I've recently starting experimenting with sweet potatoes as chips (http://feedyourfussyeater.wordpress.com/2012/05/01/sweet-potato-chips/) and cinnamon is one of my favorite ingredients to add to a dish (http://feedyourfussyeater.wordpress.com/2012/05/16/cinnamon-takes-a-back-seat-to-no-babka/). I'll have to try these out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing! Please let me know what you think about the brownies!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hello! If you cut them into 16 squares, the brownies are each 115 calories, 19g carb, 5g fat, 3g protein.

      Delete
  4. Hi there! I just made these, slightly adapted due to my lack of agave, and they came out great! You can take a look over on my blog if you would like. :) Thanks for the recipe!

    http://thebakingfairy.blogspot.com/2012/06/sweet-potato-honey-brownies.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valentina, Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for sharing with honey. I got all excited that I had the ingredients already on-hand, but then as I put everything into the mixing bowl and got to the agave part I freaked because I SWEAR I had agave! Thank you for the confirmation that they came out good regardless. I was gonna try the honey anyway, but I would hate to waste all that time cooking and be disappointed that I should have ran to the store. You're the best! Thank you, Tiffany, as well! Still putting it all together at the moment. :o)

      -TrailJunk's wife

      Delete
  5. Another option for gluten free is to use Oat flour instead of wheat.. FYI wheat is extremely inflammatory to the body. I plan to try these with oat flour as a treat.. I have such a sweet tooth and so hard to not have anything when trying to cut bodyfat% thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Make sure your oat flour is gluten free if you are trying to avoid wheat. You can also substitute almond flour!

      Delete
  6. Did you use Hot sweet potatoes? Or does this matter? Thanks, Toni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't really matter as long as they are cooked - you definitely need them soft.

      Delete
  7. I cannot tell you how sweet my house smells right now, Yum!
    My brownies took nearly an hour to fully cook and I'm (in)patiently waiting for them to cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do smell so good! I hope you enjoyed them Kelly!

      Delete
  8. Just made these, they're tasty! Glad I found this site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so glad you found us too Williesheia! I hope that you have a chance to try our other recipes too!

      Delete

We are so excited you are leaving a comment for He and She Eat Clean! We read each and every comment and will get back to you soon! Thanks so much!